Benefits of investing in a GIC
- Safety, safety, safety – your original investment and any interest earned are 100% guaranteed.
- Not greatly affected by market fluctuations.
- Interest rates are guaranteed over a predefined period of time.
- Eligible for your RRSP, RRIF, RESP and TFSA.
- Simple to understand.
- A range of term and interest rate options enable to customize to your goals.
- GICs with terms to maturity are eligible to be insured by CDIC (Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation).
GICs are a safe and secure investment which offer a guaranteed rate of return over a fixed period of time. They are issued by chartered banks or specific financial institutions (mortgage, loan and trust companies) and range in maturities from one to five years. GICs enable you to match your investment needs while supplementing your income by offering the ability to receive interest payments either annually, semi-annually, monthly or in compound form.
Explore all of your options from both Scotia iTRADE and third party providers.
With GICs, safety and security of your principal investment are protected and the interest rate can be fixed or variable for the term of your investment.
Even better, you can choose from a range of GICs for both non-registered and registered accounts.
To view the most current GIC rates or to purchase online, sign in to your Scotia iTRADE account.
Also refer to our Fixed Income fees and our entire Commission & Fee Schedule.